Friday, February 24, 2012

From the Chronicles of Live Shows: Diversified

I found myself at the Big Fish Pub again last night.  This place is quickly becoming my favorite east valley dive.  Friendly staff, smiling and awesome hair.  I have to admit, though... I felt out of place. Im a punk, a rock monster, and even sometimes an alternative whore. But one things for certain... I am not a fly girl. Before going to the show, I looked up Horrorcore... the ascribed genre that was playing there... And was expecting a Marylin Manson/ICP hybrid. What I got was a hip hop show. With no instruments, just a beat, rap and hip hop are a staple for the pop scene.  How can I say, though, that this site is for the local dive scene, if I don’t expand my horizons and include other genres, even those I am none too familiar with?

The first act was full of energy.  They were so into their lyrics, feeling them and expressing them with boisterous gestures... articulate and even. These guys were the Twin Kill-az. Brothers, however I am unsure as to whether they are actually twins.  They carried a good following in the crowd.  If you can imagine me, moving to rap, these guys were definitely making my soul happy. Expressing their talent with a prodigious amount of uniform verbal communication, these boys definitely have their art down from what I can tell.    
(Yes, I consider these my action pics :-))
The second act was Backwoods Butcher.  His first song went straight to the cock. My first impression with him was sloppy and uber rap. And whats up with the mask? Good voice and flow, however I thought to myself, the Twins were better.  He then pulls an Andrew Dice Clay... Yea, no comparison to the Twins.  I guess I just don’t understand Horrorcore... Rap? Rock? ICPesque knock off?  Pretty much every song was about dead bodies everywhere. As a rock monster, I couldn’t help but compare this to Korn, who I felt expressed it better. I was absolutely floored, however, when the Butcher exploded in a maelstrom of chime beats and vocals. And guttural, carnal roars. I can definitely say I am bias towards the roars and melodies, being a rock girl. But even his flow at that point grew to an incredible tornado crescendo of words.  If I were to like hip hop (I am starting to, so stay your blaspheming intricacy!) I would have to say that this rap yokel knew what his proverbial musical digs were, yo! Absolutely great guy too.  I had a chance to chat with him a bit, and he does have a reason to wear the mask.  Can anyone guess?  I will be revealing the reason in a future interview with the artist. 
(If anyone wants to donate a camera to my cause, it would be coo, coo.)
Third act, Noxious of AZ, was terrifically awesome. Two white boys in baseball caps. The boy in green was fast and furious!  Slimshadyesque, those two railed off word after word, lyric after lyric, chorus after chorus.  Another entity that made me want to bounce.  Moving around on stage, with seemingly important purpose, they took over the stage and the audience.  Creating a tone of non-frivality they certainly understood their calling.  To express themselves with a vocal and beat pairing that unequivocally surpassed the prior two acts.  Great job, boys!  You certainly have started the process of proving me wrong in regards to hip hop.  Being local in addition to having a great presence on stage is a big gold star with me. 

The last act, who calls herself Rayven Chylde, was very audience oriented and participated.  Stationing herself on the floor, instead of onstage, she involved the purpose of the show, Lady V.  Introducing her and explaining she had just turned 21, she proceeded into a duet with the birthday girl.  Whether she was involved with the label as an artist or simply a friend of the group, she did a pretty good job, playing off of Rayven.  There was a third party to the act, and from Reverbnation I am going to assume he is Dubbz Manson.  His head was donned with a hardcore style set of ass length red dreads.  Very hardcore, very individuality inducing.  Both members were scrolling around the crowd, involving everyone.  I have this to say about Rayven… she has a great voice, not only in her rap but melodically as well.  As a hip hop artist, I got the impression she was experienced and practiced.  Twice talented vocally, Rayven is definitely an artist to go see in person. 

As mentioned above, I had a chance to chat with Backwoods Butcher.  One question I asked, as I had never heard of the genre of hip hop before, was what it was.  What made it Horrorcore versus regular ‘ole rap.  He expressed that Horrorcore tends to be just what it sounds like, hardcore.  Doing things that the traditional, though already racy and degenerate, genre of hip hop does not dare to do.  So, after seeing it firsthand and getting a better definition of this particular genre that my oh so confused mind had originally baffled, my impression of local Horrorcore thus far... Rap with a hardcore image. 

If you are into hip hop and rap, all four sets of artists are a must see.  Delving deeper into the local music scene I am, and am happy to spread the love of the diverse individuals of Phoenix.  Happy music making, my creatures of the beat!  Keep creating, keep playing!  And I cannot reiterate it enough, fans in Phoenix, keep supporting those who share their passions with us.  They give us a gift of music.  Lets give them a gift of an audience. 

Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. Sweet review! Wikkid-Syren InterTainment, Sik City Records and The Big Fish Pub will be rockin' these shows EVERY Thursday night! Drop by for Thirstin' Thursdays and get a taste of what we're about!

    ReplyDelete