Wednesday, February 8, 2012

16 tons... and counting

I wanna be a rock star when I grow up.  I want to fix people when I grow up.  How do I become a superhero when I get older like you, daddy?

What did you want to be when you grew up?  Gynecologist?  Proctologist?  Garbage man?  Internal combustion transportation route indentation prevention crew member?  Custodian?  Unemployed? 

The unemployment rate in our desert state is almost 10% (az.gov).  That is one in every 10 Arizonans.  2 out of every 20 individuals.  And yet… yet, we have job postings everywhere in the papers, on websites and at job fairs.  In a search I just completed on a job search site, there were 481 openings posted today in my city alone.  My relatively small radius of 20 miles.  So why is it so hard to find a job? 

I have a college degree.  Yes, this rock monster, mother of two, rebel punk has a college degree.  And $30,000 in student loan debt.  That is a hell of a lot of money when you are working retail.  Loans came due, and this single mother of two suddenly realized… where is all my money?  I considered getting a second job, however after two failed interviews and countless non-responses to emails and inquiries, I came to the conclusion that it would be best not to try any more.  And anyways, that would leave NO time to spend with my wonderful children. 

I work retail at a major chain store. I have been there 12 years.  I have had the same rate of pay for the past six.  Six years without a raise.  Busting my butt to keep my job, pay my bills and support my children.  I have seen my associates’ pay cut, hours cut and lose their positions in the store to be moved to another department in favor of cheaper, younger labor.  Some of these individuals have been with the company 20 plus years.  It is definitely a losing battle in today’s economic environment.  Sidelining my second job to focus on my kids and my current job, I realized superbudgeting it is.  To feed my kids, put gas in my car, and keep a roof over their heads.  But for how long can this last?

With the statistics in the beginning of this rant, it at first seems reasonable that an individual would be able to find a job.  There are 440,000 residents in Mesa, according to the 2010 census.  That means 44,000 individuals in Mesa have no jobs.  There are job openings here in Mesa for 9% of those individuals.  How realistic is it that we can reduce the rate of unemployment if there are jobs only for 9% of the unemployed in Mesa?  If this ratio stands true for the rest of the state, there is no chance we can get this state back on it’s economic feet. 

Bottom line is we need more jobs, but we also need to focus on those stores we have here in the valley, family owned, so we don’t raise the unemployment rate even more.  We are dumping hundreds of thousands of dollars into the welfare pot.  Yes, I attempted to get foods tamps.  I was turned down as I make too much.  You need to make a decent living to live, however with the rates of housing, food and even power, yes, I go through almost $10 a day in power using my heater, there is no way in HELL a single income household can survive.  Let alone an unemployed household getting less than I am in unemployment and foods tamps.  Yet… there are women I see every day, tromping through my store, paying with food stamps, yet they are embellished with golden earrings, Prada purses and have completely manicured nails and professionally tossled hair.  I can’t even afford a good pedicure.  So where is this money coming from that they so carelessly toss around?  I would like a cut.

We all wanted to have that dream job that paid tons of money and earned us fame.  A dream, of epic childhood imagination, nothing less of unicorns and candy, but much, much more of a monstrosity.  Working towards that goal, we at nine years old, ten and even thirteen or fourteen, practice skills that would move us toward our goal that much sooner.  Then, sixteen rolls around and parents encourage us to get a job.  But… what about practicing those skills we will need as adults?   Between flipping burgers and homework, its a practically impossible task.  Time is taken up by pencils and spatulas.  Dreams fade, focusing more now on keeping said job and getting good grades, letting our hormones rule our minds and hearts… where is this dream?  What is the purpose of all of this?

We need more business.  We need more dreams, we need more avenues of reaching those goals that we set forth when all that was in our minds was a child’s fancy.  We cannot continue like this as a society if big business and major corporations continue to crush our small and very necessary mom and pop stores, our gracious shops and hole in the wall entities. Major entities come in and close other smaller stores, shut their doors and leave the buildings empty.  Insodoing, they cut corners on labor and riase benefit premiums, trade longtime loyal employees who are trying to survive in this inflated worldOn a war path, they play the “Survivor” game, trying to see who will be the last business standing.  Closing shops and cutting down the number of jobs in the valley.  Superconvenience and the cheapest price are nice, however your next door neighbor can’t make enough to support his family selling tshirts and records if you shop at big box stores because they have fancy marketing schemes and lure you in with a cheap price, then say they ran out of the product in question and sell you another at 50% more.  So the next time you get an kurge to cloth yourself think of the smaller guys.  Next time you are hungry for a good burger, keep away from the arches.  It’s not that great anyway.  Next time you see your struggling neighbor trying to make ends meet… ask them where they work.  And Shop.  Local. 


I wanna know... what's your favorite local business?

No comments:

Post a Comment