Wednesday, February 15, 2012

From the Chronicals of Live Shows: In the Spirit of OI!

OI!  What a fantastic way to relieve some unwanted stress.  Punk punk, punk punk punk, punk PUNK!!!  Hardcore, screaming, FUCK YOU punk.  Catching back to the days of Rancid, Lagwagon, Bad Religion, and a punk scene staple the Vandals, last night’s show was a mini version of my perfect night.  Energy filled, ear drum crushing, unadulterated  thrashing punk.  It’s been a while, folks.  Definitely.  But seeing those bodies out on the floor once again, after show after show recently of almost NILL audience movement, I realized that the local music scene, as a whole, needs to catch up with it’s energetic sub-counterpart: Punk. 

The show was as the Yucca Tap room.  A great place to see a punk show.  Compact yet roomy, the stage and floor area make it easy to entice ner-do-wells to the front of the stage for some rough enjoyment.  Ahhh, joys of punkhood.  I wore a bad choice of garb for the genre of show, an easy to tear away skirt, otherwise I would have been in the middle of the pile of sweaty, hurdling, mashing bodies.  Oh, punk… the pit, how I love thee… hurt me, tire me, play me  I love a good tossing around.  Rough me up and throw mebruise me, break me, RAVAGE ME!

Wow, enough of my fantasizing.    Sorry, kids.  Got a little carried away.  On to the show… 

So, the first band was not punk, but an energetic equal all the same.  One Dollar Death.  Metal, crashing instruments, roaring vocals… I do have to say, this guy Jesse gave a level of carnal vox that shook my whole body.  In general, besides the bass (for which I have a personal preference) the vocals are the next best thing to sex.  Its no instrument, not an extention of the body… it is the body.  Not many individuals can create a sound out of that whole in your face that makes people want to listen.  I have heard metal bands that have vocals that make me want to puke.  And not in a good way. 

Now, on to the PUNK:  The first punkers that played was called Oi Industry.  They had a fun set.  Just crazy, oi bending, fist making punk.  The second band, which I actually heard online and wanted to check out in person, the reason I was there… Rotten Youth.  Wow what a show.  I actually left my seat to get closer… holding myself back from getting in amongst the bodies out of fear of losing my skirt, I enjoyed the show from standing next to the bar.  In typical punk fashion, audience interaction was at 100%.  Great show punkers!  I look forward to seeing your next show, and you can guarantee I will be jumping into the horde.

This reawakening of my punk spirit has made me think.  The generally consensus is that punk, as a true genre, is dead.  Dead by losing legends of punk, and newer bands trying yet failing to recreate an era long gone.  Conversations a plenty, discussions I have with fellow punkers and musical associates always end up the same… disagreeing on the origination of “the punk”.  To me, punk is an individual, something that makes the person who they are.  For an off topic correlation, take religion for an example.  You can say you are a member of a church, but do you follow the teachings?  Never stray from the provided path?  Is it hypocritical to say that you believe in something, but not live it?  Now back to the music, yes, you can like the music and listen and enjoy and not be hypocritical by living a middle class lifestyle.  But can you say you are “a punk”?  

The whole point I am trying to make is punk is not dead.  Yes, commercialized bands have taken punk to a whole other avenue of music, however it is not the same as when it was given birth in the 70's, not the same as in the 80's, and no... not the same as in the 90's.  What I am used to.  Change is something that happens, the natural course of things.  It is healthy and can assist in moving society along.  The word is not dead, just changed.  No, it will never be the same, however there still are those that carry on true punk tradition, as witnessed last night.  It is within the individual, and the expression of that is what makes it punk.  Punk was founded on values of anarchy, aggressive music and an expression of who gives a fuck.  The way they dress amplifies that and reaffirms the value.  Corporate Business tries to stifle that by forcing dress code, along the entire line of the body.  Piercings, hair color/style, tattoos, clothes, and facial hair.  They absolutely have the right to establish these rules to ensure a uniform and “presentable standard” for their company.  Pop culture also establishes a set of uniform standards.  Each genre has specific set of brands and style that individuals pay for.  But... but, how many of you wear garb because you want to, or is it because it is coolI am a firm believer in self expression.  From my hair color, my gauged ears, and my leather bracelets, it is me.  People notice when I don’t have red leather on my wrist and they egad at my natural hair color.  I have even been descriminated against professionally and personally, as a mother and as an individual, because of this.  They assume things based on my outward appearance.  Assumption is a dangerous creatureBut, its me.  I am not who they think I am.  I will always be me.  Just as who you are, how you dress, how you act, will always be you. 

My message to you, as individuals and citizens of Phoenix and beyond, express yourself!  Show the world who you are.  Not who they want you to be, or who you want them to think you are because you are cool.  There is too much conformation in this world, follow simply to belong.  I don’t care if you listen to rap, pop, country, metal or punk, or any other genre.  Just be you, enjoy your music.  Simply, be you
Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment