Saturday, February 4, 2012

Ch-ch-ch--changes

Change is good, right?  Change for the better, refreshing… not dead, just different than when I was younger.  Every aspect of my life has changed.  From my physical body to mental, to surroundings to my whole outlook on life.  No longer do I have the same young body, naïve mind, childhood atmosphere or negative, depressed, almost entirely emo attitude.  I no longer create a cloud of negative energy, paranoid and accusing… no longer do I see the world in the same light, or darkness.  Positivity in everything I do, the way I approach things and look at things. 

I think that was the problem when I started this project not too long ago, I looked at the local scene as a dead mammal floating in a pool of its own muck and decay.  True, its definitely not the scene I remember a decade ago as a young woman… true marketing and advertising with stickers and posters everywhere is still amiss.  However, with the whole litter law thing, and people getting pissed off about punks sticking stickers on the bumpers of their cars, the scene now simply is a beast caged waiting for a new outlet of marketing.  Online resources, when you can find them, are great places to find information on bands and shows, and as a plus, if they have music recorded, you can listen to it online.  A poster or sticker can’t do that for you.  But… then there is the aspect of mystery that is missing.  Showing up to a show and not knowing what type of music, or at least what subgenre. 

At a show last night this was brought to my attention.  More brutally and corrosive than I would have liked, however it is a valid point.  With the whirlwind of technology brewing up storm after storm of new ways to make money and get a point across, the information superhighway can be a very productive avenue for local music marketing.  It is, actually.  And at least until the zombie apocalypse happens, it will be. 

So mysterious as it was before, the music scene today holds great opportunity for those who love music.  Admittedly, finding bands you want to see live or just listen to is easier than before.  You just have to know what web sites to go to and how to navigate through the site.  I am going to pose a question to you, the reader… feel free to answer in the comments.  Whether you are an old scener like myself, or a young one who has cut their teeth on the scene as it is now… do you miss the trash?  The marking of public property, seeing these badges of the self made musicians and providers of passion? 

So in my eyes, at least, the marketing is not where I am used to seeing it.  Yes, there definitely is still word of mouth, which is still rampant.  You just have to dig deeper into the depths of the world wide web to find it.  I am hoping this project will make a productive addition to this avenue of supercomputers and techies

1 comment:

  1. I, for one, miss the grand old days of the Mason Jar. For me, back in 1998-2001, when I worked there. And, more recently Johnny's Eastside Tap. When I worked at the Jar, the internet was not quite as ubiquitous as it is now. We had to change the marquee, post posters on the walls and put ads in the New Times. Back then, bands would actually go out and distribute flyers. When Johnny was making a go of his Eastside I had advised him that it was a must that bands promote their shows at the Eastside with flyers, flyers everywhere! But, unfortunately the promoters and the bands that came through the Eastside all seemed to seriously miss the point. I think that was one big part of the tragedy that was the failure of the Eastside. It could have been so awesome. And, to me, that is a change for the worse.

    Yet, Johnny and I did agree that it gave the bar some cred and helped when bands would put some of their stickers on the restroom walls, saying "I was here". It's something you don't want just anyone doing, but when you've had bands perform live in your bar, it's a good thing. Sigh, now I'm feeling nostalgic and sad.

    ReplyDelete