Monday, April 23, 2012

Chronicles of Live Shows ~ Showing my Alternative Closet

Alternative... A perfect genre for a depressed mood. Slow, practiced guitar, soft moody vocals... Very sweet. Very calming. Music for a damaged soul, a broken heart, possibly simply a frustrated with life punk vixen who so desperately needs a new lease on life. Am i betraying my heart by listening to such a calm and artistic genre? I found myself at the Rogue after a tumultuous day. The rogue is an awesome place for neighborhood amity. Lots of locals plus live music!! And a night club fav... rainbow shots!! I have to say, I am a beer girl myself but this was one shot that really put the sting in my night, in a good way.

The first act actually brought my mood to a suberbluous essence that increased as the night went on. I don't care what you say, genre does not define music. It’s the passion and fortuity behind it that creates local music. The emotion, the raw, just... Two guys up on stage, sitting on stools, creating a simplicity of musical means that surpasses any mainstream pop band. I found out later after talking to one of the guys outside whilst enjoying my paper and cancer leaves that this duo was more or less the result of an individual’s creativity and drive to prepare music that showcased his own talent. This man was called Jason Gerardo. As a past aspiring and current artist, his music is inspiring. From what I have heard and from the quote on his card, "be the change you want to see in others", it is clear that his focus is not to simply gain bitches and hoes by being a musician but to share what he does, and inspire those who need it. What is he inspiring? Perhaps he will be kind enough to share that with us in a future interview, meanwhile... as his personal interests as listed on his Facebook page indicate, "creating music with soul." My sincere weaver of a softer musical means, I mean it when I say I like what you are achieving. Happy music making!

The second act... Folk. Twangy, not quite country, fun bouncy... I guess i would call it twangy... Not really diggin it, but absolute talent nonetheless. Two individuals playing guitar and singing, mixing melody with harmony. They are the Driftwood Singers. As their name suggests, in conjunction with their genre entitlement, they emphasize a sound that hails from the a woodsy area of the country. They actually come from California. Los Angelas, to be exact. Absolutely a diverse area of the country, and absolutely a talented act from the famous West Coast. Check em out here!!

Another act worth mentioning was entitled Haymarket Squares. Described as Punkgrass Folk, listening to them enveloped me in a contented, I wanna say pink but I don't want to lose my street cred, cloud of non traditional rock and roll strings but a fantastically bouncy banjo and mandolin with their guitar. Included with the trio are harmonious vocals and... wait for it... kazoo and harmonica!! A plethora of instruments, involved in their ever cheerful yet at times lyrically course creative process, gives due to the Haymarket Squares as an entity from right here in the valley that is absolutely a must attend. You can check out their Facebook page and listen to tunes here.


The next act was very alternative and smooth, with an underlying folk/bluegrass impression. The Deckers... WOW. Hypnotic, folksy, alternative...y... I suggest going to their site, and buying a few tunes. In the Same Boat is a good one. They have a very distinctive sound, and their songs are quite diverse. Not one sound alike. They played a great set, and had me, as well as others in the audience, spellbound and superintrigued. An already established entity in Phoenix, they perform with the same soul and emphatic need to share as any punk or metal band.

The last act I will mention is Bad Lucy. Well, I just realized I mentioned all the acts in the show... I have to say that I really enjoyed my venture into folk. The same talent and soulful creativity that I know is the heart of the Phoenix scene is portrayed in many forms. From the many subgenres of rock and punk, to the various talents of rap and hip hop; from the country aspect to now the folk and alternative aspect, all remains the same: the talent that exists here in Phoenix is never lacking. So, my always eager inhabitants of my increasingly hotter Valley of the Sun, listen, share, and support. The local talent will never be shared if you don't do your part as well!! Remember, there is no mainstream without the local, it is fans like you who support and boost these entities into national and international fame.

Okay, back to Bad Lucy. Slower, more alternative than the previous bands, absolute smooth mood music. An ambiance of alternative power, the emotion oozing from these guys' music emulated exactly my mood for the day, not only soulbroken but heartbroken and crestfallen. Not to say their music was at all downbringing, but not exactly the faster, beating rhythm and energetic melodies that create playful times. Their music was simply... there. A melody for the soul, music to mend. That is what I am trying to get at. Altruistic typical alternative lyrics, they express a unique and artistic melody for love, happiness and musical integrity. Their song Knife, specifically peaked my ears. A poppy tune that inspires thinking of one's self and moving forward. One of the first lines, "I come along and cut free with my knife", emulates that instinct.  I am also a sucker for accapella melodies.  They have this song, performed live during the set, with a great choir of lungs they brough up on stage.  Its entitled, Halleluja.  Don't compare this to a church choir.  They have a good portion of the song with intrumentals, mostly drums, but once those girls started in, a somber cheerfullness took over the Rogue.  Technicalities aside, the song lyrics speak of beginning something, despite the feeling of life being over.  Inspiring, intriguing, and an alternative band I can definately follow.  Check them out and take a listen! Music can only be shared by me, you and everyone else who you share with.

As always, my passionate lovers of Phoenix, shop local and support the scene. Check out Bad Lucy! Alternative can be a good thing. Cheers!


1 comment:

  1. Great reviews. Sounds fun and will have to check out the music

    ReplyDelete