Sunday, November 18, 2012

Chronicles of Super Bad Ass weekends ~ Oh God Yes!

This weekend was a twofer for me.  I was doing nothing on Friday night up until I decided with a friend we were going to go pick up tickets for a show on Saturday night we spontaneously wanted to go to.  So, 2 in the Chest made it clear they would be at Goathead Saloon... off to the saloon we went.  Expecting to have a couple beers, getting the tickets, then leaving (I had to work at 6am the next morning) we walked into a metal show.  Not just any metal show.

The return of Havens End.  More hard rock than metal, Havens End was a band I had not seen, yet knew of.  I was in and out during their set with other things, so really didn't have a chance to check them out. 

There were three bands we did really pay attention to, however, and totally shot my plans of sleeping for work out of the fucking water!  I hate when the talent on stage is soooo good I don't wanna leave!

Cactus Chainsaw.  An amazing metal band with superb energy and full on no shit taken music!  Check em out and go to a show! 

Throw the Switch, which is a hybrid of members of Cactus Chainsaw and another band, added more to my list of Pheonix metal I wanna get on CD.  Gebus these guys, on stage, drew me in like a fish on a hook!  Turbulant strings and lyrics that will take the paint off a car!  Which would be a good thing if you needed a paint job.  Or didn't care about your car.  Otherwise leave your car OUTSIDE! 

Then there was Unconscious Minds.This band was so rock steady they gave me whiplash from head banging.  Its wonderful when a band gives you so much enjoyment you actually injure yourself enjoying it.  Unfortunately, as with most clubs in the valley, we were given the "no slamming into each other" tap on the shoulder.  Killers!  After I acquired mysterious bruises all over my body.

Unconscious Mind is a band I will be following, and you should too!  A wondermous whirlwind of fuckin metal!  I got a demo CD, however as with most demos the music is ok.  This show was not just ok.  I strongly suggest seeing them live, as you will not be disappointed. 

After working 8 hours the next morning, I arranged to meet my friend at Big Fish pub for the Saturday show.  2 in the Chest, mother fuckers!  We arrived late so missed the first half of the show.  But it was still fantabulous!  It was my first time seeing them in full garb and with their new bassist, who by the way was just as bad ass as Mudrup.  Great show guys!  They now have an album out which fully portreys their show musically.  Wonderful job! 

There are two more bands I'd like to mention from this show. 

First one, Latency.  I'be heard about em, but never seen em.  They are one of those bigger, prolific local bands that everyone raves about but I miss because of other bands I love. 

Positioning myself next to the cabs, I enjoyed a rather excellent performance that lived up to the hype.  Despite my whiplash from the metal show I enjoyed the night before, my sore neck found itself enjoyably sore and moving!  I love a band where every member plays an instrument, especially a guitar slingin lead singin man.  And you gotta love a bass player that jumps around like he's a kid excited for his birthday.  In fact, every member of the band moved and reflected an energy as if the floor was on fire.  And facial expressions!  Man, this band had all the enjoyments of my almost perfect show!  If I had to pick an MVP for tonight, the bassist would be it.  This guy flailed his fingers across his stick like he was making rough, passionate love to it, all the while performing on stage with a vehement energy that surpassed a modern rocker's classic performance.  Its been a while since I saw faces emulating what was being expressed on stage. 

Song mention: "Slow".  My favorite song of the night.  Check them out if you haven't already been to a show.  Latency, cheers!  I look forward to your next show and keep the rock rolling!

Okay, admittedly I spent a lot of the set trying to interpret the stylings of the one individual on the floor who was moving to his own model of the music.  This boy loved his band, and it showed! 

I've heard covers of old SOAD songs, but Latency pulled out a version with its own flavor of a carnal voice mixed with a super heavy set of guitar and bass that SOAD is known for.  I really enjoy SOAD, and hate when songs get butchered.  I was excited to hear a good version played slightly to the differential but good at that as well!

The last band I saw Saturday night,and one that pulled my weekend to a super musically maelstrom of awesome full circle?  Oh God no.  They were uber heavy and super fun!  Oh God No had a huge commanding voice in such a small package as well as a well rounded supporting band.

I like seeing fans of bands that show especially high levels of love for their band.  Oh God no has one of those.  One fan was overly exhuberant in her support of the band and was not afraid to show it.

One of their songs has a story.  "Call the Cops."  A great punk song musically and in spirit, its about a practice they had where the cops were called on them to shut them up.  Long story short, the cop accepted a demo CD, popped it into the CD player in his car, and left blasting oh God no.  In this case, you can't exclaim fuck the police, but have to admit 5-0 has good taste in the electrified side of art.

Not only is this kid vocally talented but he plays an amazing guitar.  Predominantly punk, oh God no performs a variety of songs beautifly.  Diversely talented kids. 

Then they played a Pennywise cover!!  Taking me back to high school.  Love when that happens.  Their crowd showed love for them that made me happy in my soul.  Bringing music to the people, that's what local music is all about.

What a fantabulous show!!  Oh God no killed it, Latency lived up to its reputation, and 2 in the Chest rose up and proved zombies can play fucking music!  The metal Friday night started my weekend revelry with painful pleasuracity that apparently was an omen for a supurbluous end. 

God, I really love music.  I know you do to, Pheonix!  Support your local bands and fucking get to a show! 

Ta ta for now, see you soon at a venue! 

No comments:

Post a Comment