Sunday, March 25, 2012

Chronicles of Live Shows ~ Two Nights of Rips and a Legend

Two nights of shuddering punk and eardrum bleeding grindcore metal.  Second night at Rips, and after the energetic pre-party of last night, the bar is dead. No patrons, no sign of bands. A precursor to a grind core metal show, it didnt seem very promising. Ive been wanting to see Blodskam for a while. I was promised a fantastically corrosive show by their fans. Corrosive is definitely my cup o tea. But... The early lack of scene was discouraging.

A regular at the bar, I chatted with Kenny, an old rock and roller past retirement age. The bar itself is an integral part of the historic downtown Phoenix area. Kenny mentioned his own preferences for the music, "It was great for a while but then the younger kids brought their noise. But im an old classic rock n roller. Music is just too loud for me." From what he said, punk and metal have recently been introduced to Rips. I guess you can say it’s a change older regulars like Kenny don’t appreciate but as the scene changes, so must the venues.

The first night was full of punk such as Casket Life and Jerk Officers, who took the stage with authority.  My favorite of the night was actually Dirty Hairy.  With an uber hyper, almost ADHD energy, the lead took the stage with a mic and running around like a three year old on coke.  Tossing party favors into the crowds such as ping pong balls, Star Wards playing cards and Dirty Hairy condoms, the floor got littered with Dirty Hairy paraphernalia.  And yes, I was tatted up by the band.  Dirty Hairy is definitely a fun and entertaining group of guys. 


About ten till nine the kids start arriving. Metal ts and jeans, and ladies in typical metal short skirt and tat fashion. After all the hipster, alternative, pop rock and garage surf creations ive been digging into lately I finally feel appropriately dressed in my all black attire.

Leftover from last nights mayley, Dirty Hairy ping pong balls are the entertainment until the stage is accosted by unintelligible vocals and all but graceful strings and drums. The waiting is unbearable to an extent... Outside, people watching and matching the dressed individuals with the genre. First fans I spoke with were connected to the band I came to see. Nothing but great words of course. When people ask who is playing, the answer is consistently Blodskam. Perfect. I got more excited the more people I spoke with. I have to admit... I love people watching at shows. Not much of a drinker at events, I watch fans and regulars alike getting more and more inebriated and energetic for the music. Its a genuine thrill to me to see these band passionate entities moving, appreciating and focusing on the music. Of course the regular fanbase is a fantastic involvement, but creating new fans and sharing the music with more and more individuals is what I aim at doing. Dispersing the local scene to you, my readers. So now, my music loving creatures, on to the bands.

Blodskam was up first, a gigantic ball of electric strings, thrashing drums and monster vocals.  After seeing them live finally, I appreciate the recordings I’ve heard and immersed myself into the music.  Continuing on, the next band to take the stage was Impregnator.  With songs themed exactly with the name of the band, they performed a raucous set of similarly caustic music.  The next band was Abiotx.  This was the second time I saw them.  Just as metally genius as the first time, Abiotx in this atmosphere was a great addition to the show, creative in solos and with a collective, true metal sound.

The last band: Bloodspasm!!!  They are in their 28th year!! Older than the typical punk band members, they have been a Tucson area punk institution for close to three decades.  Enjoying what they do and gaining pleasure out of getting a HUGE rise out of the crowd… the mashing and crunching of bodies was all over the place at Rips that night!  Affecting not only those on the floor but by me seated at the bar all the way to the DJ booth, bodies were being effectively forcefully moved from one place to another. Hail to you, Tucson Gods of Punk.  Worn as you may be, your vigor and ability to get a bunch of kids all jacked up on music is tremendously appreciated.  All this from the stage, donning your cane and a tired body, but still expressing the passion and gungho as any 20 year old on the floor that night. 


So at the conclusion of this review, I have to say that the two nights at Rips has been a very enjoyable and hopefully repeated experience.  Keep your punk fist strong and drumbeat furious, ye skinheads, skaters and grind core and other citizens of the punk community alike.  The goal is the same, to share the passion and an all but lost culture. 

Have a fantabulous week… I am taking a break and I hope to get some bands up soon!

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment